I thought the days of being up at night would come to an end when my babies reached 8 weeks and had learned to sleep through the night. Who was I kidding? We still haven't reached that stage yet!
Noah used to wake up the same time every night, like clock work, needing to go to the bathroom. It was the same routine: help him get down from the top bunk, direct him to the bathroom & lift the lid, but don't talk to him! If you did, he would turn into an angry urchin & be completely unreasonable. But all growling & crying would cease the second his head hit the pillow. He still wakes up occasionally with bad dreams, mostly because his bed is close to the ceiling & I think he just gets overheated. Daniel...the spoiled baby of the family...has been making his way into our bed ever since he could crawl out of his! I've tried fighting it & have put or sent him back to his own bed many times, but most of the time I'm too tired or unaware that he snuck under our covers. Last night Daniel explained that he had one warm blanket & one cold blanket, and that was why he needed to be in our bed. I decided I wasn't going to reason with a 3 year old at 4 in the morning! I just moved over & resigned myself to sharing my bed...again. Abbie was the worst, never lying still, but sleeping perpendicular to our heads & smacking us in the face repeatedly. She still tortures Grace, and I have removed her legs & arms from around her sister on countless occasions. Her excuse? "Grace is just too warm!" Grace doesn't seem to mind, and even forgives her sister for stealing the covers each night. I figure she'll be prepared for marriage. And speaking of which....I shouldn't even have to talk about husbands and their desire for midnight rendezvous. I love how in the morning, he looks at you all innocent & asks, "Did you wake me up last night?", as if any sleep-deprived mother would chose sex over sleep!
One of these nights, I might get uninterrupted sleep, but until then...I'm considering looking into some powerful sedatives!
2 comments:
I once had a vision of installing a wall to wall mattress on the floor of my bedroom to accomodate everyone. Thankfully they sleep in their own beds now.
There's a reason I gave you a V keychain, Amy.... you will always be able to make me laugh. :-)
Malin used to get up twice at night when she needed to pee. First, she would get up and walk to our room, half-asleep. I would always ask her if she needed to go potty and she would just suck her finger and shake her head no (if she chose to answer at all.) So I'd carry her back to bed. About 2-5 minutes later, I'd hear those little footstops padding down the hall again, then the bathroom door would creak open and I'd hear the evidence that mommies really do know what their kids need. And she'd head off back to bed. I used to get so frustrated that she couldn't just take care of her business the first time - but she had to interrupt my sleep.
It's nice to have those days behind me. Oh! I mean, enjoy that sweet snuggly boy while he's still small enough to fit between you and your..... husband. (I refrain from being witty here.)
Post a Comment