Wednesday, January 16, 2008


I have my Grandma's old dining room table. I love that I inherited it, but all our love & use has taken its toll on the wood finish. I found a great & practical way to protect the wood top, that is also easier to keep clean. I buy the cheap vinyl tablecloths (anywhere from $2-$4). I lay it on the table & "eyeball" it, cutting the table cloth so that it will fold under the top about 2". Then I sew elastic around the whole perimeter. It stays put for several months & I don't have to worry or take extra care to keep the wood top finish in good condition. Warning: Don't put anything too hot on there, as it has the potential to melt the tablecloth! I learned this the hard way. :) For more great tips, check out Rocks in my Dryer.

2 comments:

Kristen M. said...

That is a great tip. I'm jealous that you can sew! I don't have the same concern about my $75 Salvation Army table but one day I do hope to have a table worth protecting.

ten4ruthie said...

All hail the never-ending source of ingenuity.... :-)