Monday, January 7, 2008

Little boys...

The good Lord knew what he was doing when he gave me girls first. I needed 4 1/2 years of child-rearing before I had my first boy...and another 4 1/2 years before I was forced to deal with what I now deal with on a daily basis.

God made Adam to rule over the animals, and that need to be supreme over all living things is still inbred into every little boy. They love to shoot and kill things. One morning Daniel was shooting down deer, and the next thing I knew he was killing old ladies! So we had to review the "You do NOT shoot at people" rule.

Noah often wakes up in the middle of the night with bad dreams, especially when he gets too hot. But on more occasions he congures up bad dreams when he is wanting to stay up later. Last night he & Daniel were coming up with all kinds of excuses to ward off bed-time. Noah came out in the living room with a story - "Daddy, I had a bad dream that you died on the cross." He was looking in his Bible that afternoon about the story of Jesus dying on the cross. Another night it was, "I had a bad dream that a coyote ate me!", after Katryn informed him one of their kittens had been devoured by a coyote. When the "bad dream" excuse didn't work, he tried another one, "I think I have a bloody nose." It works for his big sister, Abbie, who frequently will get a bloody noses due to dry winters. Phil told him to blow his nose. So he stood there in the living room blowing his nose for about 5 minutes when Daniel appeared. Noah informed his little brother, "Daniel, I'm not really watching TV, I'm just blowing my nose." Yeah, right. We quickly sent them to bed so we could laugh hysterically. The things they come up with!

Noah measures time spatially, as in, the space between his hands. I told him, "Why don't you boys go play outside for 30 minutes before rest time." He said, "How much time is that? Is that this much, or this much?" as if he was measuring fish!

The boys love to wrestle, what boy doesn't? The funny thing is that though Noah is 20 months older, Daniel can take him down & is usually the one that wins. And it's a good thing the couch only cost us $10, for all the climbing, jumping, riding, & flips it sustains! I love it when they play pretend, because it means that eventually I'll get to hear Daniel's "manly" voice, where he lowers his voice & tries to sound tough. He says things like, "I'm going to work now, I'm gonna build that right there, I need to get the mans, I'm gonna call on my phone." Something about a 3 year old trying to sound grown up is hilarious.

I love my boys & I'm thankful God waited until now for me to enjoy them.

1 comment:

Kristen M. said...

Aren't boys fun... Coming from a family of two girls, having Paul has been a huge learning curve for me.