"Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness."
Today, as I read this again, the context of this verse stood out in a new way...something I don't think I had noticed before. In the preceeding verses, Jeremiah talks about his circumstances. He feels like he is walking in darkness, like God has turned his hand against him & has surrounded him with bitterness & hardship. He feels as though he cannot escape, that he has been left without help, deprived of peace, and been forgotten. He admits that all that he had hoped from the Lord...is gone.
And suddenly, there is a turning point. Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope. He is reminded of God's love, compassion, faithfulness, goodness, and salvation. His circumstances haven't changed & how he feels about his circumstances hasn't changed either - Let him sit alone in silence, for the Lord has laid it on him. Let him bury his face in the dust - there may yet be hope. In the midst of despair, a promise...and a reminder: Though he brings grief, he will show compassion, so great is his unfailing love. For he does not willingly bring affliction or grief to the children of men. Who can speak and have it happen if the Lord has not decreed it? Is it not from the mouth of the Most High that both calamities and good things come?
Somedays, life can feel pretty hopeless...like there is no end in sight to the junk I deal with on a daily basis. And it scares me when I think that my circumstances might never change. I want to see that "light at the end of the tunnel". I want that "happily ever after". Doesn't God know what I'm dealing with here? If he has the power to change it, why won't he?
Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope.
...in the context of God's love, faithfulness, and salvation. I hang on to the hope that God knows what he's doing in my life, better than I will ever be able to comprehend...
...hope...
1 comment:
Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment