Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Anticipation...

Thinking of days to come, and chasing after some "finer day" is what kept Carly Simon waitin'...anticipating...

Life can be about anticipation. Waiting for tomorrow, waiting for the next phase, the next adventure, the next new thing...for things to get better, for what lies ahead or just around the corner, waiting...

It got me thinking...scary, I know. :) I started thinking about "anticipation", and what makes it different from "hope". I began to realize that most of the time, the things I anticipate have expectations attached. And often I find myself disappointed because what happens isn't what I had anticipated at all.

Hope is different. Hope does not disappoint. I loved this definition: Hope is a person or thing in which expectations are centered. Hope brings me to a place of letting go of my expectations and holding on with everything I've got to God & his promises. Because he is perfect, and his plan for my life is perfect...I can center my expectations on him. I can hope in Him.

Now, don't get me wrong. There's still waiting on hope. Only I don't have to chase after some illusion of a "finer day".


"We wait in hope for the Lord; he is our help and our shield.
In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name.
May your unfailing love rest upon us, O LORD,
even as we put our hope in you." Psalms 33:20-22
----------------------------------------------------------
"He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run & not grow weary, they will walk and not faint." Isaiah 40:29-31
----------------------------------------------------------
"Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, 'The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.' The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him..." Lamentations 3:21-25

No comments: