Whoever it was that coined the phrase "the lazy days of summer" obviously wasn't a mom. Especially if they meant "lazy" as in "having nothing to do or doing nothing at all". I have the opposite problem, as in "I have so much to do, I don't know where to start, so I'll just sit here a little while longer." Or maybe they are the "lazy days" because it's just too stinkin' hot to move. Don't mind me. I'm just hot & bothered because I had to climb up in a 350 degree attic to retrieve bears & lids to finish jarring honey this afternoon. I really need to go restock the shelf at the grocery store, but every time I think about taking 4 kids with me, I decide it will be much easier at 9pm tonight when they are all tucked snugly into bed.
I had a panic attack this afternoon when I lost my list. Yes, I'm a list maker. Go ahead and make fun of me. But if you know me at all, you will know that I am lost without my lists. Or rather, I am dependant upon them. Don't be offended if I don't remember something important you tell me. If I don't write it down, chances are it will be gone from my mind the moment the conversation is over...or before then. It helps me to stay focused & on task. And sometimes it's nice to glance over it at the end of my day and see that I did, in fact, accomplish something. These last fews days my list has been full...too full. It spills over into the next day & I can't seem to catch up. So I'm learning to let go & hand over some of my "to do" items to my kids, even if they don't do them to the obsessive degree that I do. And I'm plesantly surprised to learn that they do a fairly good job. :) I'm also learning that some things just don't need to be on the list at all.
I came to the realization this afternoon, that for various reasons, I wasn't enjoying these "lazy days of summer". And after my nap, I feel like I've gained some perspective. As a mom, there will always be plenty to do, but I want to be intentional about being "lazy" this summer - reading books to my kids, playing in the sprinkler with them, building a fort with them or just hanging out in the hammock. I plan to put it on my list.
3 comments:
Amy, Wise thought to put "playing with/having fun with your children" on your "to do" list! That is more important than having clean floors or a cleaned up kitchen. They won't remember what meals you cooked them this summer or how clean the house was, but they will remember the laughter and fun they had together with you!! Mothering is the greatest profession, but can be a very hard job. Keep up the good work, Amy. Nothing is greater than to have grown children who still tell you they love you and who call you their best friend! Following is a link to an entry in a friends' blog that hopefully may give you some encouragement today. http://superdupercoopers.blogspot.com/2008/07/encouragement-to-keep-on-at-home.html
"Bring back those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer... those days of soda and pretzels and beer...."
-Nat King Cole
So are you coming to Kentucky this summer? I can't promise you lazy days, but the hazy and crazy part is pretty much a given if you put together you, me, the camp kitchen and late nights with too much caffeine and chocolate. love you!
ps- I'm always amused by the verification words I have to type before I can post a comment. Today it's "philyvn."
you should also add to your list a trip to OKalhoma City to walk around target and check out the deals...SOLO!!! meaning go alone or with a friend for a mommy day off!!! good idea huh....add it to the list...oh and a Skype call!!!
Love ya!!
Post a Comment