Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Something new

This afternoon I tried out a new recipe & was pleasantly surprised at how yummy these cookies were. My friend informed me that "healthy" should never mix with "yummy". She tells me, "Don't be puttin' no fruit in that jello. It'll ruin it." That's oklahoman, in case you were wonderin'. :) These cookies have plenty of "healthy" mixed in, but it doesn't ruin the taste.

Also, I love to keep cookies in the freezer. It became a habit about 10 years ago. I'll admit, I am a little anal about it. My cookies go directly from baking sheet to freezer. This deters me from snacking on them, and I can't stand crumbly, stale cookies. Our good friend, Greg, loves to tease me about my "fresh baked" cookies. I offered him some "home made" cookies one afternoon. They were frozen solid & he carried on, saying he could have broke a tooth! He still hasn't let me hear the end of it.

So, for those of you out there who don't mind mixing healthy & yummy, this recipe's for you:

Chocolate Chip Whole Wheat Oatmeal Cookies
1 c. butter, softened
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
3 c. regular oats
2 c. chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix butter, sugars, eggs & vanilla. Add dry ingredients & mix well. Add chocolate chips. Spoon onto a cookie sheet & bake for 10 minutes. Take out of the oven before they look "done" & let them sit for another 2 min. before removing from baking sheet. Makes about 4 doz. medium cookies. (I think I'm going to try substituting 1/2 c. applesauce for 1/2 c. of the butter & see how they turn out. I'll let you know how it goes...)

No comments: