Thursday, January 29, 2009

A light bulb moment…I have a light bulb!

Well...I was sitting at my desk yesterday, and I was feeling kind of bummed, wearing my holey socks, paying bills and balancing the checkbook, thinking, “We are so poor…” And of course, the next natural thought was, “If only...”

Twenty-four hours later, I’m back from our Ladies’ Bible study @ church & feeling on top of the world. After we ate lunch, I knew it was time…time to do that which I dread most & put off until it is absolutely necessary. I know most people dread cleaning their bathrooms. But for me, it is the kitchen floor with all of its stuck-on-food and dried milk spots. Yuck. Last night Grace noticed a whole banana under there (peel still intact). Do you think she did anything about it? Nope. She notified me & scooted her chair in. Nobody wants to touch the kitchen floor. Anyway, as I was mopping, it hit me. I am a rich woman…a very rich woman. Why is this so easy for me to forget? I have a floor to clean! I ate lunch today! And I now have dishes to wash! And a closet full of clothes, a warm home, healthy children, money in savings, a job! It's all things I take for granted when I begin to feel like what I have is not enough. I'm sure there's some housewife over in Africa thinking to herself, "If only I had a floor to clean instead of this dirt hut." And yet, I'm sure that despite her moments of longing for something better, she is still grateful that she has a hut at all, and that her family has enough food for a day, and a way to earn money for tomorrow. When I think of those who live in abject poverty, it shames me to think of the ridiculous things I complain about.

Not only am I rich in material things…but I am continually overwhelmed with how God has blessed me spiritually. I don’t ever want to take for granted the “fellowship” of other sisters in Christ, the wisdom & experience they have to share with me. It encourages me…always. I walked away from time this morning with 14 very different women, feeling uplifted and blessed.

I am rich...beyond measure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a good attitude, Amy. I think I spend too much time looking through magazines and decorating books and seeing the spotless homes that are on their best behavior for a photo shoot. I sometimes forget the beauty of the fact that my messy home is full of LIFE. Life is messy, isn't it? Life puts holes in your socks. Malin found my blue ladybug socks yesterday and told me that "Aunt Amy would like these." I told her, "Aunt Amy HAS a pair of those. Aunt Amy gave those to me." :-)