Friday, May 30, 2008

Sidenote

Wednesday night I went out for supper with 4 great friends to celebrate Brenda's 40th birthday. (I told you I'd blog about it, Lisa!) After food, laughter, & fellowship, we went where all dates end up...to Wal-Mart. As we were walking around the lingerie department, I had a "moment". It was as close as I've come to a "sister-in-law outing". When I married Phil in 1997, I was thrust into a new family with 2 other new "sisters", as Phil & his two older brothers all had weddings within a 6 month period. It was a little awkward that first Christmas getting to know one another, but we went on a sister-in-law outing, and have carried on the tradition ever since. For me, it's the best part of our family gatherings. The 5 of us never had sisters of our own & we have become as close as any biological sisters could be...without a past of sibling rivalry! In that moment, in the middle of Wal-Mart, I realized that there is a bond between women - that of sisterhood, as we laugh & relate to raising kids, raising husbands :), keeping a home & juggling the many responsibilities we have. I couldn't ask for better sisters.

On another note, I'm going braless today. Yep, you heard me. I really did admit it. I went swimming yesterday & like an idiot, didn't put on sunscreen...and the sunscreen I did put on, I put on a little too late. I have a great "tan" line & the only thing I'm comfortable in is a tank top. So, I know that's probably "TMI" for some of you (Too Much Information), but you've all been there, right? I do it every year. Will someone please remind me next summer to not be an idiot & put some protection on after being indoors all year?!?! Thanks. It's what friends are for.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

We really need to do "girls night out" more often. I had such a good time. It's such a blessing to have a great group of friends that I can be real around and they still like me for who I am!! I haven't laughed so hard in a long time!

Kristen M. said...

Sounds like a great night. Maybe too much fun (bra-less!)