Monday, May 12, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!


This weekend we went camping with our small group. We had two new families join us this time, so there were 27 of us - 11 adults & 16 kids (we missed you, Travis!). Sat. night we were making Hobo dinners & one of the mom commented, "These are a LOT of work, next time we should just make Frito Chili Pies, or something simpler!" To which my quiet friend replied, "Hobo dinners are kind of like camping - a LOT of work, but well worth the effort." It's true. When I think about camping, just our family, I have to say, it doesn't excite me much. It's a lot of work! But there's something about coming together in a group of friends, working together & having fun, that makes it worth the effort. I'm not saying that camping as a family isn't worth the effort, it's just different. I love watching the kids play together & pair off with different ones at different times, or to see the older ones caring for the younger. Making meals, setting up & tearing down camp, living without the creature comforts of home...they all require some flexibility & most require a lot of work, but the memories, conversations, and fellowship are well worth it!

Yesterday for Mother's Day, my girls each gave me cards declaring that I was the "best Mom EVER!" (Does that qualify me as a Prov. 31 women, Ruthie?) :) Anyway, before supper, Daniel & Phil decided to make something for me. Daniel wanted to make a cake, brownies & ice cream. Phil left the kitchen for a minute & found Daniel with 3 cake boxes open & ready! But they settled on brownies & Daniel's eyes were bright with pride when he told me all about it. After supper, while we were enjoying the fruits of his labor, I thanked him & told him how special it was that he had made them just for me. He smiled back at me & asked, "Are you gonna give me spanks if I hit Noah?" While I was still trying to figure out where THAT question had come from & if he had just hit Noah or was planning on hitting him...he followed up with, "If I made you brownies, I wouldn't get a spank..." Then the realization hit. That boy is too smart. While he had me on his good side, he thought he'd just see how much he could get out of those brownies. Mischevious AND charming...

3 comments:

Kristen M. said...

I'm glad you had a good weekend camping. I always pray for you when I hear about tornados and the such in your part of the country. Camping is a huge deal in Michigan. We have spent a lot of time sharing meals huddled around campfires with our friends here. It is a special memory to have.

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha. Your boys make me laugh!

Avery was just looking at your cute picture of Noah in huge sunglasses. Her casual observance was, "He has lots of hair now."

And speaking of Avery, have you seen her wear these wide headbands before? Do you know how CUTE she is in them? I love the blue and white one you picked out. She just happened to be wearing a turquoise dress when we opened your package, so it even matches. Sweet. Thanks for the very great package. It was a huge hit. (I told the boys it was probably going to be hand-me-down clothes for the girls, so they got a lot more than they expected.) :-)

Lisa said...

Thanks for talking me into going camping. I had such a good time and needed to get away and be with good friends. It was a lot of fun!

Daniel cracks me up!! He's such a charmer!