Sunday, June 8, 2008

Garage Sale

Last Fall I wrote a story about the phenomenon that is Garage sales. This past weekend, Emily & I had another one. Friday turned out to be a beautiful day, after storms the night before. By 2pm we weren't seeing too many "customers", so we closed up early & took the kids swimming, which was a wonderful reward for a hard day's work. Yesterday was just downright discouraging. We had a few customers trickle through in the morning, but after 10am...nothing. My grand total for the day was $11.25. The kids too were disappointed in how little pop they sold. It's no fun to sit out in the heat when no one shows up! They got so desperate, they offered the mailman a bottle of water. Phil later found that our signs had been pulled out from the ground at the entrance to our subdivision & that explained it. It also didn't help that the wind was blowing 100mph & that there were countless other sales in nicer neighborhoods. By 1pm we had called it quits & were all a little grouchy. In the past we've only done our sale on Saturday, so we were thankful to have done it Friday too, and have some profit to show for our work. After 3 years of doing this, I think we've reached the end of our "junk", although we might accumulate enough for another sale next summer, but I hope not! Still, selling some is better than nothing & it always feels good to declutter & downgrade.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I can't wait to have a garage sale and get rid of all the extra "stuff" we don't need! I'm sorry Saturday didn't go well.

Kristen M. said...

We are having a garage sale on Saturday. And believe me we have tons of stuff. It is also the day of the "village garage sales" which is always the 2nd Saturday of June. We got to list our house on the official garage sale map so hopefully we will get a lot of customers. We don't want to drag this stuff to San Diego with us!

Kristen M. said...

Update: There were tons of people in town but our street was one of the quieter ones. I ended up hauling a bunch of stuff to Salvation Army. It would have been nice to make more money but at least I feel good about decluttering. We will have one more garage sale before we move (to sell furniture).