Tuesday, May 13, 2008

My Gracie girl...


Tomorrow is Grace's birthday. I can't believe she's seven already. Where have the years gone? This year she's excited about "milestones" - namely getting her ears pierced & receiving a glass doll from Grammie Debelak. The only reason she can count on these things is because her big sister got them when she turned seven. Hopefully the boys won't have the same expectations when they turn seven! Last Friday we went with her class to see Charlotte's Web at a children's theater in Wichita. On the bus ride home I was asking what she would like for her birthday & what kind of cake she wanted. Typically I hear, "Ummm....I don't know." When she was younger she used to say, "I don't matter." which really meant, "I don't care." But without hestitation, she looked at me & said, "Um...a Charlotte's Web cake?"

I must confess I'm either lazy or I like to avoid making extra work for myself. Is that the same as being lazy? Anyway. Grace wanted to take treats to school tomorrow, so I thought I'd send her decorated cake instead of having to make cupcakes AND a cake. Then, I didn't want to make more frosting, since I still had lots of green & white left from Noah's cake...thus the green & pink. Phil thinks I should still mix a bunch of colors together to make a muddy brown. He says pigs are never that pink & CLEAN. But that would take more work & I think the cake looks fine just the way it is, don't you? :) I love watching Ace of Cakes, but I always think to myself, that's a lot of work for something that will just be eaten! But I have to say that all the work is definitely worth that smile...priceless.

2 comments:

Kristen M. said...

I love the cake! I made Megan a Webkinz "Crown of Wonder" cake for her birthday. It turned out so-so. Not my best effort but still delicious.

Lisa said...

I LOVE the cake, great job! Grace looks so cute. She's so photogenic!

I noticed you changed your page layout, looks good. Also noticed you changed your "about me" section. No more babysitting!! One more day, you can do it!!!