The Little House books are timeless. I loved reading them as a child, though I think I’ve enjoyed them even more lately as I read them to my kids. Right now we’re reading Farmer Boy, the story of Almanzo Wilder’s childhood. Of course, the boys are enthralled with all the things Almanzo gets to do – everything from working calves, skipping school on his birthday to stay home and help his dad on the farm, sledding for a whole afternoon, and only having to bathe once a week!
This week, we’re kickin’ it “Prairie style”, as we’re living without a hot water heater. Phil discovered ours was leaking when we left for the weekend. He took off work yesterday & found that the floor underneath it was pretty rotted, so he decided to rebuild the closet that houses the heating/AC unit, water heater, and now the water softener. So in between appointments, clients, and remodeling, he’s working on repairing that. I've been washing dishes by hand and last night I heated water for baths. The boys thought it was great fun to bathe “like Almanzo” in a small Rubbermaid in our bathroom. The girls weren’t as thrilled.
Yesterday I spent all of my weekly grocery allowance at ALDI’s, only to get home and realize that I hadn’t bought bread. What did I spend that money on anyway?!? So, since I had all the ingredients on hand, I’m making bread this afternoon & enjoying the cool breeze coming through the open windows. Next week I need to make a better meal plan…and a grocery list! Until then, we’ll see what interesting meals I can come up with from what’s hiding in the freezer & cupboards! Cornbread and beans, anyone?
2 comments:
Sounds like an adventure! I loved those books when I was young and loved watching the show!
Wow - you've done a lot of blogging since the last time I checked in! Guess what - Roger is reading Farmer Boy to our kids right now too. He just started a couple of days ago.
Post a Comment