Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Traditions

Recently, a friend asked what holiday traditions our kids look forward to each year, and we were hard pressed to think of any. I'm not sure that is a good thing. There is something comforting about the "sameness", the "we do this every year", the assurance that some things never change.

On the other hand, not having set traditions allows for spontaneity and creativity. Phil's friend brought over wild goose & Phil made "goose nuggets" for the kids on Christmas Day. (He would like to think it will be a yearly tradition...but I'm hoping I can talk him into something more appealing by then!) This year we had fun making peppernuts (a molasses German-Mennonite cookie), and even though they're fun to roll out & cut, they require quite a bit of time. My Grandma used to make gumdrop fruitcake, and I've tried to carry on the tradition for my Dad, though some years he doesn't get his fruitcake until Valentine's! Last year we had fun making New Year's cookies (Mennonite fried doughnuts) w/ friends, and our kids have already begged to make them again this New Year's Day. Watching the parades was always my Grandpa's tradition, and hosting lots of company was my Grandma's. Christmas is very important to Phil's family, who recites Luke 2 together before opening gifts. I know many families who give their kids three gifts each, in honor of the 3 wise men. I've always aimed for four. Don't ask me why.

I got the movie Fiddler's Roof for Christmas. (Okay, the truth is I spotted it for $5, bought it & asked the kids to wrap it for me. That's just how things work around here.) Abbie was really interested in it & we had some neat conversation about why traditions are important to some, and what happens when they walk away from that foundation. If anything, our lack of traditions have allowed our kids to think for themselves, and express their own opinions about what is important to them. We may not do the same things in the same way each year, but at the core, there are things that are important to us about each holiday we celebrate. And hopefully we will pass those "traditional values" on to our children.

3 comments:

Amy said...

What exactly are "goose nuggets" like chicken nuggets, but goose? Peppernuts are definately a chore. When Micahel and I were first married, he wanted me to make some like his grandma, so I got out my "Peppernut Cookbook" (there are so many recipes it is like 50 pages long) and made them...had no clue what I was in for- haven't don't it since. But, now I am thinking the New Year's Cookies sound good today!

Amy said...

"Goose nuggets" is Phil's creative way to get the kids to eat goose. I thought they tasted like liver & onions...only worse!

Lisa said...

I was just thinking about how we made New Year's cookies together last year. That sounds really good to me right now!! I'm too lazy though to make them myself - will you come over and help me?!!!