Sunday, November 2, 2008

Where did the week go???

Can anybody tell me why some weeks just seem to go faster than others? I'm not sure that time is completely consistent. It seems like I blinked & there went my week. I don't know how that happened, but I'm already making lists to get a jump on next week & all that I hope to accomplish. It helps that the kids all pitched in to get the house picked up before bedtime. America's Funniest Home Videos is a great motivator! They knew how much time they had until the show started & they made quick work of the mess.

We had fun trick-or-treating Friday night & came home with more "bootie" than I've ever seen. Somebody come rid my house of the temptress CHOCOLATE! We visited a few houses on our street - neighbors that would be sad if we didn't stop by, then drove over to my friend's neighborhood & walked around with them. The girls all dressed up in their "prairie girl" outfits & were Mary, Laura & Carrie from the Little House series. The boys dressed as cowboys & had fun running wild & shooting at anything that moved. After we collected more candy than we could possibly consume in one year, we went back to my friend's home to pass out candy. We weren't getting many takers, so the kids decided they should stand out front & do some advertising. Unbeknownst to us, some boys came along & starting teasing Abbie, calling her "little princess" & making fun of her outfit. They grabbed fist fulls of candy & took off running...only to have our daughter follow suit! One of the kids came running to us, declaring, "Fight, FIGHT!" And pretty soon, here came Abbie back with the rescued candy. The boy that had been teasing her tripped & fell, so she pinned him down & told him never to do that again! When she got back, Phil lectured her about the dangers of chasing after strange boys & the possibility of retaliation. But unfortunately, his speech fell on deaf ears. After all, she was just trying to defend herself & protect that precious chocolate. I had to work hard to stifle my giggles. I remember what it was like to be a forth grader. I had a terrible reputation for kicking the boys that irritated or teased me in the shins...hard. They learned their lesson quick, that's for sure. I guess that poor boy won't come looking for candy anytime soon. And I'm glad to know I don't have to worry about my daughter being interested in dating...at least for a while.

4 comments:

Kristen M. said...

Go Abbie!

Anonymous said...

Philip and I had a laugh over this one. Great job raising such a self-sufficient little girl! I hope ours grows up to have the same spirit. :)

Lisa said...

How hilarious! I can just see Abbie! Reminds me of myself when I was younger.

ten4ruthie said...

Feisty little girls make good wives.