You know the old saying, “When it rains...”? Well, it’s pouring around here, and I want to be the old man snoring. He at least gets plenty of rest!
After our house recovered from the flu, I came down with a nasty cold.
The filament in our oven burned in half one evening while I was making granola. It took a couple days to get the part in, but Phil was able to replace it without difficulty, only to discover that wasn’t the only problem. Apparently, our oven’s computer panel had a glitch; Phil ordered that part, but we're not sure whether it will arrive in time for Thanksgiving. So I've been making lots of soup & getting creative with stovetop & crock-pot meals. Thanksgiving dinner will be interesting this year...memorable, for sure.
Progress is being made in our bathroom. Phil really went to work on it when we heard we'd be having 14 people @ our house. The toilet is installed & the walls are ready for texture & painting. Speaking of company, my parents arrived this afternoon with my brother, Aaron, & girlfriend, Lydia. Lydia's family is driving down from CO & will spend the night here tonight, then continue on to TX after breakfast, taking Aaron & Lydia with them. Phil's sister & her husband are stopping in Monday over-night on their way to NE. I'm thinking of opening a bed & breakfast.
Though I'm thankful for all the work Phil has done on the bathroom, I'm ready for it to be finished so I can get a peaceful nights' sleep again. The other night I slept with earplugs in, one night I woke up to country music @ 1am, and I'm growing tired of all the drywall dust in our bedroom. I try not to complain too much. My husband has always been a night-owl & it's when he gets most of his work done. So I'm attemping to remain focused on the bigger picture - a beautiful & functional bathroom.
Our internet has been down & I was on the phone the other day for almost 2 hours with a nice lady in India. I explained Thanksgiving traditions & food to her, and she explained how she prepares potatoes (with hot chilies).
The kicker this week was having the "joy of womanhood" arrive on just the right day. Not only am I bloated & crabby, but my husband has been complaining that my congested nose is keeping him awake (with all my snoring)! So see...I might as well be that old man in bed, enjoying the sound of the storm & getting my beauty rest!
1 comment:
I hope everything comes together just in time.
Three or four years ago the electricity at our house was knocked out on Thanksgiving day. All of my family was coming over and we'd had an ice storm and it was freezing. Anyway, I'd already begun the turkey in the oven so I had to drive to the church (on the icy roads) to borrow an electric roaster. By the time I returned, half of our power had been restored and the furnace was back on. I was able to use some of the outlets in the kitchen but not all (including the oven). It took a little longer to finish cooking my turkey but Thanksgiving went on as planned.
Another non-oven option is to cook a turkey breast in your crockpot. One year
Post a Comment