Monday, October 13, 2008

Fun with cousins!

I love being part of a large extended family. Growing up, most of my cousins were younger than I, but that didn't (and doesn't) stop us from having plenty of fun when we're together. Phil & I were married just 6 months after his oldest brother, and 3 months after the next oldest brother. By our second Christmas together there were 2 grandkids; Abbie & her cousin, Judah, are just 2 weeks apart. After that, about every 2 years, there was another "set" of cousins to join the family. In Phil's family there are 10 cousins & more to come. In my family we've doubled the numbers; from 1 girl & 2 boys, to 2 granddaughters & 4 grandsons. Now that you're up on our family tree... :)

Last weekend we went camping at Lake Thunderbird (southeast of OKC) with 2 of Phil's siblings & their families. Here are the guys with 5 cousins heading off on a 2 hour canoe ride. About halfway through Daniel was done, "When are we going to be there?!?! I really need a nap!"

Daniel with "his" cousin, Ella Joy.
Grace with Hadassah Faye ("Haddie"). It was so fun to see Grace in a "big sister" role, taking care of Haddie & walking hand-in-hand.
This past weekend, we doubled our household size when we welcomed Phil's oldest brother & family into our home. The cousins each have someone their own age, and we have had countless arguments when it comes to sharing..."No...he's my cousin!" They had a blast playing on the swing set, in the sandbox, riding bikes, beating Uncle Philip at soccer, and being silly together.

2 comments:

Kristen M. said...

Looks like you guys had a blast...I guess all the siblings took the whole "be fruitful and multiply" thing seriously. :)

I wish my kids lived closer to their cousins. I hope that even with the distance (them in Michigan, us in San Diego) they stay close to each other.

ten4ruthie said...

I love this picture! I'm so glad you posted it so I can steal it and put it on my blog too. Love you bag lady....