Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Do you ever wonder how Michael Phelps got his start? I mean, when he was little, was he enamored with famous swim stars? Did he get his start swimming laps in the bathtub?
I don't know whether my boys will ever be famous, but one thing is for sure. They love swimming, and they love Michael Phelps. They watched each swim race intently & were a cheering force to be reckoned with! Even though it has been over 2 months since the Olympics, Michael is a part of every bath time. A bath just isn't complete without a "Michael Phelps" - a face down plunge into the bath water & the most fun way so far to rinse off. Daniel scared a life guard at the pool this summer because he could stay under for so long. Noah will go under & then wiggle around - his version of the butterfly; there's just no room to swing his arms forward. I love that my boys have role models, and if their hero is a 6 foot 4 inch man that happens to be half fish, then so be it. At least they get the shampoo out of their hair without any tears!

2 comments:

Stephen said...

I heard an interview with Mrs. Phelps and the story is basically that Michael was a really hyper child. Instead of taking him to a doctor and pumping him full of drugs, she signed him up on a swim team. A little while later the coach approached her to say that he wanted to train Michael to be an Olympic swimmer, and gave her a timeline of how the training would go and when he would try out for the Olympics.

So if the kids are into it enough... put 'em on a swim team when they're old enough. I can hear it now: "Daniel Voth is quite possibly the fastest swimmer since Michael Phelps!"

ten4ruthie said...

And I got to see that Michael Phelp act in person! Woohoo!!