Monday, April 14, 2008

Oooooo-klahoma!

When our high school choir sang "Oklahoma", I had no idea I would one day be experiencing "when the wind comes sweeping down the plain" first hand. To say it's windy would be an understatement! But maybe all the wind means that warmer weather is blowing in & Spring is here to stay. I hope so. I'm tired of this going back & forth, trying to decide if long sleeves & jeans or a Tshirt & capris are in order for the day. It doesn't help to be short on drawer space. I keep all our seasonal clothes in our dressers & store the rest in plastic tubs. And since we don't have an attic or basement, and the garage is dedicated to construction related items, I have to make space in our closets for hand-me-downs, bigger sizes, and seasonal clothes. That's why the minute my kids out grow something, it's out-a-here! So during these in-between phases, there is massive clothes chaos & I feel like I'm constantly having to reorganize & resituate. I look forward to the days that are either all hot or all cold & there aren't questions or debates about what to wear.

Despite the wind, today was beautiful. I love spring. After a winter of being cooped up indoors, my kids love to be outside. Noah asked if he & Daniel could "stay outside forever...well, at least until it gets dark, because that would be too scary." I've been sweeping up about a cup full of sand every day that gets transferred from the sandbox to my kitchen floor, but I figure that is a small price to pay for hours of entertainment. And when it gets to be 90 degrees, we break out the water hose. Not only do the kids keep cool, but my garbages, the bikes & all the outside toys get a good washin'.

The warmer weather is making me anxious for summer vacation, sleeping in, going to the library, free movies at the mall, swimming, lazy afternoons, simple suppers, and time with family. We're counting down the weeks to the last day of school...and my last day of work.

Until then, I'll try to appreciate this Oklahoma wind & what it carries my way.

1 comment:

ten4ruthie said...

How nice to end my day with you. I've been in front of this computer all day long, and you're the best thing that has come across my screen.

I completely understand the seasonal clothes issue. Well, almost completely. We do have a basement. But it's a pretty saw-dusty, ashy place. Gotta keep the lids fastened down tight on those tubs!

My kids keep asking to go swimming. You think I just let them try it? Once they feel how cold the water is, they surely won't stay in long. Although... these are children we're talking about. A dangerous species to try to predict.

Love you...