I came up with 6 "flowers" - Keep your elbows off the table; Eat with your mouth closed; Use your silverware, not your fingers; Ask to be excused from the table; Don't forget "please" and "thank you"; and Don't reach! Instead ask, "Please pass..." Noah let out a big burp at supper, and when we reminded him it wasn't polite & he needed to say "excuse me", he quickly pointed out it wasn't a manner flower! Of all the kids, our oldest has the worst manners, and it has been helping her to remember on her own without having to be constantly reminded. The only thing I would have done differently is put my flowers in a shorter pot! It's hard to see past it to the kid across the table, so it usually gets displayed on the counter behind us. Oops. But at least it's working, right?
Friday, April 18, 2008
Manners?
Today I served hot lunch at the kids' school. I was impressed that most of the kids remembered to say, "No, thank you." and "Yes, please." A few came through with grunts & "uh-huhs", but for the most part, everyone was very courteous and one even called me "Mam". I was impressed at how the school is instilling something as simple as manners in the kids. It's really taken for granted in our society anymore. I didn't eat with them at their tables, but I know how my 3rd grade eats at home & her manners...or lack thereof...drive me crazy. Nagging wasn't working, so I had to think of something else. Thankfully, there's always Supernanny to the rescue with great tips & suggestions. Recently she made a flower arrangement with little reminders of what behavior was expected at the dinner table.

I came up with 6 "flowers" - Keep your elbows off the table; Eat with your mouth closed; Use your silverware, not your fingers; Ask to be excused from the table; Don't forget "please" and "thank you"; and Don't reach! Instead ask, "Please pass..." Noah let out a big burp at supper, and when we reminded him it wasn't polite & he needed to say "excuse me", he quickly pointed out it wasn't a manner flower! Of all the kids, our oldest has the worst manners, and it has been helping her to remember on her own without having to be constantly reminded. The only thing I would have done differently is put my flowers in a shorter pot! It's hard to see past it to the kid across the table, so it usually gets displayed on the counter behind us. Oops. But at least it's working, right?
I came up with 6 "flowers" - Keep your elbows off the table; Eat with your mouth closed; Use your silverware, not your fingers; Ask to be excused from the table; Don't forget "please" and "thank you"; and Don't reach! Instead ask, "Please pass..." Noah let out a big burp at supper, and when we reminded him it wasn't polite & he needed to say "excuse me", he quickly pointed out it wasn't a manner flower! Of all the kids, our oldest has the worst manners, and it has been helping her to remember on her own without having to be constantly reminded. The only thing I would have done differently is put my flowers in a shorter pot! It's hard to see past it to the kid across the table, so it usually gets displayed on the counter behind us. Oops. But at least it's working, right?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Cute idea. Thanks for sharing.
Great idea! We're also working on saying excuse me with the burping. Right now though, Addison just thinks it's funny when she burps.
Post a Comment