Thursday, February 21, 2008

So he gets the glory...but who cleans up the mess?

I have retreated to my bedroom in order to escape the cloud of sawdust in my kitchen. Yes, it's that time of year again...the AWANA Grand Prix. Last year I wrote a post about all that goes into building these cars. You can read my post here. This year I got to draw the sketches: a bunny for Abbie & a honey bee for Grace. Phil designed Noah's car, Doc Hudson (from the Cars movie). We never stand a chance at winning for speed, so we always go for design. Last year, an electric heater in my hallway closet was the least of my worries. This year Phil invested in a special sanding/grinding tool. Add freezing temperatures & a cluttered garage, and you've got a husband who decides a little sawdust in a warm kitchen never did anyone any harm. Only, he hasn't taken into account that he married a neat freak who will be caring for 6 children tomorrow, ages: 5,4,4,3,18mo, & 11mo. Not to mention another 18mo. old that will arrive around 2pm & 3 girls after school. That's a recipe for disaster! Or at least an explosion of some sort. :) It's true, I made the mistake of telling him he could sand the cars in my kitchen. But what I had in mind involved sandpaper & minimal damage, not equipment capable of producing a desert of dust!

So, I'm counting to ten...or one hundred & ten...and I'm breathing deeply & trying to remember the good intentions behind the mess, that the kids will be thrilled with smooth cars to paint, that the end product will be beautiful, that the hard work is because of love, that the counters can be wiped off & the floor can be swept, that I will eventually stop sneezing, and to be thankful that the AWANA Grand Prix only happens once a year!

No comments: