Sunday, February 24, 2008

I think I may have entered the twilight zone

I love my husband, I do. There are moments when I feel slightly exasperated, but I love him anyway. After 10 years of marriage, there isn't much that surprises me. He has remained consistent, the same boy I married just out of college. I learned fairly quickly that dates would consist of rollerblading, walks by the lake, hanging out in fancy hotel lobbies & coffee shops, going places I was convinced we weren't supposed to be, and above all, finding a way to have good, cheap fun together. Now this is not to say that he doesn't spend money on me. He does & has on several occasions. I just know that he prefers to be frugal.

Most Sundays I am begging to go out for lunch. I also want to set a good example for my kids, so I just make sure my begging isn't blatant. A sigh here, a look there, anything to reaffirm what Phil already knows - that I want to stay as far AWAY from my kitchen as possible. But I can also predict his answer, "We should just eat left-overs or sandwiches & save money." He's right. We should. But it's Sunday & as unspiritual as it sounds, I don't care about saving money; I want the day OFF. Sunday is a day of rest, after all!


Well, imagine my surprise when, instead of turning toward home - where I actually lunch semi-prepared - Phil kept driving & took our whole family out for Mexican food. I hadn't begged, or hinted, or bribed. He decided of his own volition to make my week & give me the day off. And just when I thought I knew everything about him, he throws me for a loop...a good one.

...It's Monday & this post is a day late. But better late than never, right. I've got a long week ahead & am feeling sluggish, like my body is thinking about getting sick. So I'm chugging water & looking forward to bedtime when I can crash. Until then, it's paperwork, taxes, babysitting & Diet Pepsi that keep me going. Yeah, the fast is off. It was unproductivity or caffeine.

1 comment:

ten4ruthie said...

How is it possible that our husbands are brothers? How did Phil manage to inherit the scrimping gene, while Roger got the one that dictates "if it's money and we have it, we should spend it on something we want - as long as it's good quality." ??? Were they even raised by the same parents?