It's been a strange start to my week. I looked at the calendar on Sunday night to mentally & emotionally prepare myself for my babysitting schedule this week. Monday no one showed up, so it was a fun day of playing with my boys & trying to get caught up on house work. I think I was a happier and more relaxed Mom when I picked up my kids from the bus & I didn't have to face the most hectic hours of my "work" day. Usually Langley (11mo.) is fussy & clingy from 4 - 5:30pm until he gets picked up; trying to get homework done & supper made is a crazy circus act. Today I had kids cancel because of sickness & also found out that I'll have extra kids two days this week. I stuck to my guns & said I wouldn't babysit on my day off - Thurs. Being at the disposal of other people's lives & schedules has taken some adjusting & I don't often succeed at being cheerfully flexible when my expectations don't line up with reality.
Abbie fractured her arm while I was in SC. She had basketball practice for an up-coming game & was running backwards when she fell...twice...on the same wrist. The game is tonight & she was really disappointed that she can't play with her classmates...until I reminded her about the cheerleading outfit she could wear to cheer them on. :)
It's a part of life. Sometimes it's a harsh reality of life, to realize that no matter how much you decide or plan or prepare or hope, the expectations you have will not often be fulfilled in the way you imagine. Flexibility comes from practice, from letting go...from learning that I can be happy doing something else.
No comments:
Post a Comment