Tuesday, October 23, 2012

fighting for joy...

Several years ago our family drove out East for a family reunion.  We spent a day at Virginia beach, and I had fun watching our kids do this little "dance" as they would run into the water only to be chased back by the waves. 

I was content to sit on the beach and watch them.  I have trust issues.  Especially with murky water.  Blame it on years spent swimming in the Amazon, worrying about pythons and sting rays and schools of piranhas just waiting to eat me. 

Anyway.  I digress. 

It was a hot day, and I finally got up the courage to venture in.  The water felt wonderful, so I kept walking deeper...and deeper...

...until I was suddenly knocked down by a wave I hadn't seen coming.  I came up coughing and sputtering, trying to get rid of the bitter salt water I had just inhaled.  But before I could fully catch my breath, it happened again.  And then came the panic.  The desperate search for secure footing...

The last few days have felt that way.  I'm fighting exhaustion.  I'm fighting against anger and resentment.  I'm fighting to keep my head above water.  I'm fighting for joy...

#940  Psalm 28:7 - "The Lord is my strength and shield...I TRUST him...He helps me, and my heart is filled with JOY.  I burst out in songs of thanksgiving."
#941  bond of friendship - blessed beyond by these sisters going before the Father on my behalf
#942  rest
#943  reminder that I can face today with confidence because God is at my side
#944  my "special helper" - fun to spend a school day w/ Abbie
#945  delicious lunch from moms
#946  "Friday" on a Thursday
#947  community - camping w/ friends ("family")
#948  time to be away from all the have-to-dos
#949  giggling girls - sharing a tent & silly late night stories
#950  "fire boys" - ready @ a moment's notice for adventure
#951  clouds rolling past
#952  leaves rustling down - peaceful sight
#953  "best response to losses or thwarted hopes is PRAISE: The Lord gives and the Lord takes away.  Blessed be the name of the Lord." (Job 1:21)
#954  laughing w/ my sweetheart - can't see the good...especially without his glasses! :)
#955  beautiful sunrise to start the week - sky on fire w/ orange, yellow, and pink
#956  good night's rest - all night through




No comments: