I hate to admit it, but I like to be in the driver's seat. Especially when we're running late for church & Phil is driving 5 miles under the speed limit & taking the longest route to church. I find myself physically pushing my right foot down on my imaginary gas pedal. A few times I thought it would be nice to have one of those cars they use for driver's ed - the kind that gives the driver the illusion of being in control. When we were first married, we bought a little Honda with manual transmission. I loved that car. Something about changing gears & being in a smaller car, made me feel like I was going really fast. I like to go fast. I don't like to putter along slowly. It feels like a waste of time. I want to get there. Get things going. Get to the point.
The point. The point is, these days, I'm longing for the scenic route. I think the Amish have something here. It's hard to hurry much when you're driving a buggy around. You have to plan ahead & be prepared to take it slow. As much as I love things about my life right now, I'm not really loving life in the fast lane. I want to be able to slow down a little and smell those roses. It's hard to find time to enjoy the moment when you're rushing from one thing to the next. I feel like a honeybee during the peak of honey-making season. They go, go, go for 3 weeks and then they die. Work themselves to death. I really don't want to be a honeybee.
Well, I can't end this post here. That would be too depressing. And I'm not depressed. Overwhelmed. Over tired. Over extended. Yes. But not depressed.
I keep reminding myself that God led me to this place - to the fast lane. So I'm depending on him to carry me through. And even though it's stinkin' hard, I am thankful for all that he is teaching me. In the meantime, I'm trying to plan ahead so I have moments of "taking it slow" - talking with my daughter, reading to my son, playing with my kids, laughing with my husband, cherishing my friendships, resting in my Lord...
1 comment:
Oh man, Lady....I am praying for you!!! You can do it!! God's on your side, and I have got your back in the prayer department!! Love you....
Post a Comment