Monday, September 14, 2009

The funnies

This year, the 3rd-6th graders have been receiving the paper at school. Grace is cute about making sure Phil gets her paper, "'Cause I know how you like to read the paper, Daddy." I love getting the paper for two reasons. Sudoku and the comics. The comics make me laugh, and (as oddly as it may sound) Sudoku is a stress-reliever. As it's been a while since I wrote about life in general, I thought I'd be corny, or cheesy, or whatever :) and compose a family newspaper, complete with the comics. Enjoy!

School Year Is Underway

School seems to be our life these days. We leave around 7:15am & get home around 5pm most nights, so it is a long day for everyone. The kids are enjoying school (for the most part) and love their teachers. As parents, it's exciting to watch our children excel because of their desire to please their teachers. Abbie memorized 1 Cor. 13 after her teacher challenged the class. Grace has read above her reading goal (which isn't due until October & is a huge deal for my girl who "doesn't like" reading!). Noah is working hard on his reading & we're amazed that he can read stories already. Daniel loves his teacher & everything about Preschool. And he doesn't mind being the only boy in the afternoon with six girls! Phil has been a big help on the mornings I can't "rally the troops" & even though the dishwasher doesn't get loaded the "right" way (Right, Mom? :) I'm not rearranging it, I promise!), I'm thankful he is doing his part to help out.

Mysterious Stomach Pains Are Slowing Subsiding

Abbie has been suffering from stomach and intestinal cramping for the past 3 weeks. She claims it has nothing to do with Math. :) It got bad enough that we took her to the ER to be sure she didn't have appendicitis. After blood work and other tests, the results were negative. A visit to the Doctor's office last week & more tests confirmed that she didn't have an intestinal parasite. She is slowly getting back to her old self & her pain & cramping are decreasing each day, for which we are very thankful.

Motorcycle Moves On Down the Road

After several garage sales, unsuccessful sales attempts, & a final farewell ride up & down the road, Phil loaded up his motorcycle at the crack of dawn Saturday morning. He & Jim drove down to Clorita to an auction & he finally sold his high school pride & joy. Abbie is glad she has one less obstical in the backyard to mow around.

Funnies

One night Daniel asked, "Are we having library tomorrow?" I told him I didn't know. To which he replied, "But Mom...teachers know everything!!"

Daniel asked Phil, "Dad what is bear day?" "Bear day?" Phil scrambles for an explanation, "Um, is bear day on Friday?" "No! Bear day means a green crayon." Understanding. "Oh! You mean verde?" "No, Dad. Bear day."

We were trying to get information out of Noah about his reading group - procedure, what they read, who is in the group, etc. No matter what we asked, he kept giving the same answer, demonstrating how he reads. Soon we were cracking up at his repetitive reply - "Some kids read like this - (loudly) B - A -T ...BAT! And I read like this (quietly) b-a-t...(yelling) BAT!!"

After listening to talk radio all day about health care reform, Phil is more convinced that we need to care for our own bodies. He was cutting apples for supper & in an effort to drive his point home, said, "What is it they say? An apple a day..." "...gives you soft poopies." Nothing like a 4 year old to turn things upside down. :)

4 comments:

bitten by the bug said...

well im just catching up here, loved the funnies...of course they are my pride & joy grandkiddos :} i'm praying for this season in life, God knows the plans HE has for you.........luv ya mom

Natalie said...

seriously, you had time to write all of that...I am proud of you!!! I enjoyed the update..I laughed out loud about Noah listening to kids read in class it is sooo true!!!
Sounds like you are going to need a month long vacation when school ends in November!! You are a strong women...and GOD is sustaining you....LOVE YOU SISTA!!

Anonymous said...

I'm laughing. Great post, Amy. I love how our kids are learning the Spanish accent. I guess it comes from learning audibly instead of visually. Guess what. Malin is learning FRENCH this year. All of elementary America is learning Spanish, and my daughter comes home saying, "Bluh. That means blue." :-)

jb said...

Your funnies had me laughing out loud! Thanks, Aim! I miss you, but know your trip in the fast lane is temporary, and we'll be able to connect again soon. I love you and am praying for you! You're so one of my favorites EVER!!!