As we were embarking on a 12 hour drive this past Sunday, Abbie wanted to know why our "vacations" are always spent with family and never in exotic or exciting places...okay, she didn't exactly use those words. I think "somewhere fun" was how she put it. As we thought through our trips together as a family, we agreed that although we have been to some really amazing places, they were always on the way or while we were with family. At 10 that might seem boring, at my age it's a part of life that I look forward to. Being far from family makes the choice to either see the Grand Canyon or spend the afternoon talking with my Mom an easy decision.
Monday was my parent's 35th anniversary. Grace is pretty sure that makes Grandma 30-something & me 23. We love Grace. Bless her lil' heart! :) I got to go thrift store shopping (it may be strange, but I get excited about the little things. Who's with me?). Phil helped the kids set up a tent in the backyard & the girls made it until 6am this morning. Uncle Aaron drove down from Chicago, helped the kids wash windows with his high-rise window-washing equipment (that was hilarious!). Later the kids had a blast washing cars & getting wet...it's the next best thing when your mom forgets to pack your swimsuits. (I have to say, the image of my boys in jeans with their shirts off is the cutest thing I've ever seen.)
Mom, the girls & I are headed into Peoria to do some shopping & errand running this morning. The weather has been beautiful & warm, unusual for this time of year. So even though we're with family, I think even Abbie would agree we're going "something fun" for a change!
1 comment:
You are brave to drive so far with all the kids. Megan is a good road trip companion but we have not been brave enough to go a long distance with Paul.
Good news for you...we have a much larger house now so if San Diego is considered an exotic location, you don't have to sleep in a tent in our back yard!
Post a Comment