Friday, June 27, 2008

Timing is everything

I like to think of myself as a detail-oriented person. Most of the time. For the times I can't remember the details, I carefully write them down in my...handy-dandy...NOTEBOOK. (Sorry, when you live with a three year old, you never know what will pop into your head!) I don't pay attention to details that are not important to me. This has been a source of contention in our marriage.

About two months ago Phil decided to use a thermometer to monitor the temperatures in the fridge & freezer. He systematically alternated it between the two & kept careful watch on the temperature levels. He also expected me to keep a detailed eye on it too. But as I didn't deem it important enough, I didn't care to keep track of figures. When he asked if the freezer was staying at 10 degrees or if the fridge was around the 40s range, I just grunted a "uh-huh" hoping he would drop it. I kept the dials on the back of the fridge at 3 & B, and that was good enough for me. I started noticing things weren't as cold as they usually were & that the ice was slightly melting, but I attributed this to Phil messing with the dials, which were now set on 2 & B. He noticed changes too, but changes in his temperature levels. So he started asking questions...specific questions...and my disinterest in numbers & levels & details soon came to light. He was sadly disappointed I didn't share his interest in cooling temperatures.

Well, at around 10pm last night, all the details in the world didn't make a difference as our refrigerator's compressor seized up & ceased to function. There was no reviving it. Phil transferred as much frozen stuff as would fit in the fridge in hopes of keeping it cool until morning. This morning he went to Lowe's & brought home a new fridge.

I have to say that although his obsession with the temperature did drive me a little crazy, I am thankful that he was keeping a close tab on things. I'm also grateful that our fridge choose to kick the bucket last night rather than a week from now when we are in Virginia!

The moral to this little story? Even though details are important,

...timing is everything.

No comments: