Tuesday, June 24, 2008
Unfinished projects
Anyone that knows me well, knows I like to keep busy. And not just busy with housework & raising children, but busy with projects - like painting, crocheting, sewing, stamping, scrapbooking, tie dying, you name it. The problem is that I'm notorious for leaving my projects half-finished. This drives my husband crazy. He also doesn't understand why I don't have time for doing paperwork, balancing the checkbook, & making phone calls for his business, but I do have time to crochet. Duh! Anyway...I have been working on a baby blanket for my cousin, whose daughter is now 18 months. The problem is, it's tedious work, it takes full concentration (you have to count stitches), and it takes a lot of time to get one section finished. I have been frustrated with it, so naturally, I started another baby afghan. This one I finished in a day & a half. I have no idea who it's for, but I'm certain it will come in handy someday. And besides, it has given me a sense of accomplishment & boosted my confidence so that I can begin work again on the other one. I wish I could be more like my sister-in-law, Ruthie, who faithfully labored for months to crochet an afgan for a friend, who has made her fair share of full-sized blankets...and finished every one of them! The last full-sized one I made took me 5 years, and when I laid the finished product on our bed, I could see where two rows had become one. I vowed never to crochet a big afghan again. I have a half finished painting of two lilies on my mantel that mocks me every time I am in the living room, cross-stitch projects have been neatly tucked away in some crate, and sewing supplies strewn all over my craft table. When I finally finish something, not only is there pride in the work I've completed, but there is determination not to start another thing ever again...until the next great idea comes along!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm the same way. Actually, I've sort of given up on projects knowing that I won't finish them.
Post a Comment