Monday, June 16, 2008

On vacation...no place to go

Last Wednesday Phil got to a stopping point with work & didn't have anything urgent lined up, so he decided to make a trip to his folks' to finish siding their shed & spent some time with his Dad for Father's Day. He joked with our church on Sunday morning (while delivering the announcements) that when he decided to go, I packed a bag for him AND the kids & said, "Have a great time!" Haha. The truth is they were having VBS & Grandma had already invited the kids to spend the week there.

By 3pm on Wednesday my family left me all alone, with nothing but the Voth van for transportation. Let's just say - anywhere I wanted to go didn't sound worth driving that clunky ol' van around town for! So I pretty well stayed put. Shari spent a lot of time here - we textured the kids' bathroom & painted it. The color's growing on me, but I still think it's too dark & am kicking myself for not going w/ my instincts. Maybe some day I'll learn my lesson. :)

Yesterday we had a relaxing Father's Day. We had Phil's favorites: BLT's & beets for lunch, and waffles & white sauce for supper. His family eats white sauce over waffles instead of syrup, and our family prefers it too.

White sauce for Waffles:

2 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. flour
1 1/2 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c. sugar

In a saucepan, melt butter. Take off heat & add flour, mix thouroughly. Return to heat, add milk & whisk/stir continually over medium heat until mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat, add sugar & vanilla. Stir & serve hot.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

What is it with Mennonites and white sauce on their waffles? Travis grew up eating that too and loves it! I had to learn how to make it when we got married. Beets!?! That doesn't sound so good, but I'm glad Phil got to eat his favorites on his special day!

Kristen M. said...

I don't think I've ever eaten a sweet white sauce before. Sounds good though.