Saturday, September 8, 2012

Starting over...

I woke up angry.  The pile of dishes made me livid.  The Lego under the piano bench and a hundred other little "this & that's" left me seeing red.  The day has only begun, but the list rushing through my head is longer than I can accomplish in a lifetime.  The weight of stress on my shoulders and the feeling overwhelmed is suffocating.  I tried to bottle and pretend, but the anger bubbles at the surface, just waiting to explode.  Explode at the child stacking chairs into the tallest tower & missing the point that the floor needs swept. Explode at the piles that meet me at every turn.  Explode at the child whose shoes seem to multiply and they are content to just step over them.  Explode that it just isn't fair! 

But somewhere in the midst of my inner tirade, I realize my need for help.  I'm desperate.  Discouraged.  Feeling hopeless.  So I reach out to the only One who will really listen to this foolish woman's complaints.  And He hears.  And He responds.

Jeremiah 31:25 - "For I have given rest to the weary and joy to the sorrowing."

Psalm 42:5 & 8 - "Why am I discouraged?  Why is my heart so sad?  I will put my hope in God!  I will praise Him again - my Savior & my God!  But each day the LORD pours his unfailing love upon me, and through each night I sing His songs, praying to God who gives me life."

I'm still struggling with the anger.  But I'm taking one step forward, making a choice to trust, to praise, to choose thankfulness.  Bottling the anger just results in pressure & the inevitable explosion.  Letting go is the hard part. 

But maybe cranking up the music and finding things to thank God for will help...

to start this day over.

No comments: