Friday, March 18, 2011

Vacation

I tend to consider "vacation" with mixed emotions.

Although I look forward to the time we get to spend together as a family, making memories & enjoying the moments, there are aspects that I dread. With vacation comes planning, packing, and laundering. During vacation there are still meals to be made/eaten, dishes piled high, clothes that need cleaned, arguments resolved, activities instigated, all responsibilities a Mom can't seem to get a "vacation" from. Then there is the packing & unpacking, and the inevitable "catching up" that occurs upon our return.

Don't get me wrong. It's not that I mind the work so much. The work is the reality of what it takes to make a fun trip happen. And there is a break from the urgency of house work that often seems to scream at me when I'm here. I get to read more and stress less.

It's just that I often come home feeling like I need to GO on vacation when we've just RETURNED from one!


But for this last trip, that was not the case. I got to have my own little vacation within our vacation.
And it was wonderful.

I didn't make my bed. I didn't pick up any one's dirty underwear but my own. I didn't have to be the referee. I got to swim all by myself without little minions latching on. I got to go to a museum, and listen to the tour guide, AND browse over the items, and it was wonderfully devoid of stress brought on by supervising curious hands. I got to spend time with a great friend & have "adult conversation" for 48 hours, without interruptions!
It was a vacation I won't soon forget.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Yay for a mini vacation without kids!! Sounds fun!

Natalie said...

so happy for you that you got to have a mini refresher! you are such a hard worker and a great mom....What a way to reward yourself! Have fun with grammie...that is sooo cool!