Sunday, March 20, 2011

Antiquated...

I beginning to wonder if "playing pretend" is a thing of the past. These days kids watch movies that are imaginative and "pretend", but they don't often have opportunities to use their imaginations. When the girls were little they played "Mommy" and "teacher" and "ballerina". I love eavesdropping on my boys as they play "cowboys" or "pirates" or "builders". The conversations are often hilarious and the moments, priceless. But it's not often that I'm willing to go out of my comfort zone to be silly with them...

Several years ago, my Mom started a fun tradition. She dressed up in a miss-matched outfit and came for tea. She changed her name to Noni & spent an hour playing pretend with her granddaughters. And she didn't just do it once & call it "good". She's done it many times & it has become a tradition my daughters look forward to...even though they're 12 & 9!

This visit was no different. It was a little longer for Abbie to let loose, but after some nervous giggles and eye-rolling, she plunged into her "character".


They set the table & pulled out the best china. They discuss their lives and their children. And they practice their manners. Well, they try... ;)

I hope someday my girls won't be too grown up & mature to be "childish" and play pretend...

2 comments:

Natalie said...

soooo Cute!! Abbie standing there with a look like "what"??? as Noni walked in, is classic!! Love it! So happy she got into the groove! And Grace's hair is sooo cute! Proud of her!

Lisa said...

What a great idea! I would love to do this with my girls sometime.