Friday, October 8, 2010

Apples, and peppers, and plums...oh my!

With Fall setting in & Winter not far behind, we've been doing some "storing up". Not as much as my husband would like ;) but with me working, it doesn't allow the time needed for canning & freezing. But here & there, we squeeze in family "activities" - applesauce, canning apple pie filling, dicing & freezing peppers, and making plum jelly.


Abbie & Phil went apple picking one Sunday afternoon & brought home about 100 lbs. of free apples. There's usually a good apple crop about every other year & these were surprisingly sweet. Thanks to an Amish friend, I was taught many years ago how to make applesauce, but prefer to freeze rather than can it.

The boys (big & small) love to run the Victorio Strainer.

Grace was a big help in slicing & dicing banana peppers.


Most of these were frozen to be used in future recipes, but several I made into sweet banana pickle rings. My sister-in-law from KY introduced them to me on pizza. Sounds weird, but is so, so good!

I didn't "document" the plums. My husband brought home bags & bags of them. They were taking up freezer space, waiting until he has time to turn most of them into wine. I decided that making jelly would be a better use of the fruit. We agree to disagree on this matter. ;)

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Wow! Looks yummy! You guys have been working hard.