
Anyone who has taken a trip with kids expects the familiar question, "Are we there yet?" It's the one question that is never satisfied. Until we arrive at our destination, there is discontent...because we're not there yet. As parents, we plan & pack activities, snacks, DVDs...anything to distract from the length of the trip or inconvenience in the traveling.
I realize that in my anticipation of the arrival, I often forget to enjoy the journey. It's true that being cooped up or confined by a seat belt isn't very fun, but we've made a lot memories as a family when we take the side road & enjoy a moment to stop to look around.
I've been thinking a lot lately about this journey of life. Sometimes I think the road I'm traveling is filled with pits & potholes. I don't enjoy the journey. I don't understand why there need to be detours or maintenance. Some days it isn't fun & I feel trapped. I want to escape & allow myself to be distracted by other things. I don't know where I'm going & why I'm even on this crazy trip in the first place. I just want to hurry up, get it over with, & get there all ready.
Unfortunately...I'm not the one driving. Though I'd like to think I am sometimes. But I'm in the passenger seat, and as much as I protest & try to fight it...my driver knows where He's going, and He is in control...not me. He knows the road ahead, and there's a reason we're going this way. Yes, it may take a while, and the road doesn't promise to be a smooth one, but He is there with me on the journey. He has promised to be with me always & to give me the grace to endure the journey ahead. Even better, He throws in some sight-seeing. A chance to see His greatness in action, an opportunity to revel in His love & mercy.
So, here I am. I don't really know what lies ahead, but I'm trusting the One who does. Now it's time to release my fingernails from the dashboard & enjoy the ride.
I realize that in my anticipation of the arrival, I often forget to enjoy the journey. It's true that being cooped up or confined by a seat belt isn't very fun, but we've made a lot memories as a family when we take the side road & enjoy a moment to stop to look around.
I've been thinking a lot lately about this journey of life. Sometimes I think the road I'm traveling is filled with pits & potholes. I don't enjoy the journey. I don't understand why there need to be detours or maintenance. Some days it isn't fun & I feel trapped. I want to escape & allow myself to be distracted by other things. I don't know where I'm going & why I'm even on this crazy trip in the first place. I just want to hurry up, get it over with, & get there all ready.
Unfortunately...I'm not the one driving. Though I'd like to think I am sometimes. But I'm in the passenger seat, and as much as I protest & try to fight it...my driver knows where He's going, and He is in control...not me. He knows the road ahead, and there's a reason we're going this way. Yes, it may take a while, and the road doesn't promise to be a smooth one, but He is there with me on the journey. He has promised to be with me always & to give me the grace to endure the journey ahead. Even better, He throws in some sight-seeing. A chance to see His greatness in action, an opportunity to revel in His love & mercy.
So, here I am. I don't really know what lies ahead, but I'm trusting the One who does. Now it's time to release my fingernails from the dashboard & enjoy the ride.
3 comments:
I love this one. Like you said to me, this one really resonates with me. I appreciate your perspective and your ability to articulate yourself so well and so creatively. To my benefit, as well as to so many others:) I love you! And I love the new look:)
Right on there my dear daughter...you should write a book someday. I love you, too.
well said little cuz - brief, provacative, personal, deep and insightful - everything i'm looking for in a blog! i will be thinking about this on our way to missou, while vicki is ready to pull her hair out and i'm trying to drown out the screaming and yelling from the back...:)
Post a Comment