There are things I love about each season, but Fall is by far my favorite. Maybe I'm partial because I was born during this season, but when Phil & I were choosing dates for our wedding, I knew I wanted to be surrounded by colorful foliage, thick sweaters, and cool nights. We spent our honeymoon in Door County, and through our wedding was after their "peak season", God surprised us with an "unusually late Fall" and beautiful landscapes. I don't even mind the gray, cloudy days when all you want to do it curl up with a warm cup of tea & a good book. This past week Gustav brought us much needed rain, and combined with a cold front from the North, it has really felt like Fall.
We spent Labor Day weekend with Phil's folks & drove over to AR on Sunday to see Phil's brother & family. Matthew, Jenny & their two girls are serving at a home for pregnant girls. It is a neat ministry with unique challenges and amazing rewards. It was fun to spend the day, meeting the girls, holding a newborn (how long has it been?), playing with cousins, and living life with them.
Last night we had friends over for supper - 4 families w/ 11 children = lots of noise & lots of fun. I laughed until my sides hurt. When we moved here 6 years ago, it felt like it would be impossible to put down roots again. It's not easy to meet new people, and never easy to develop deep relationships. But God has blessed us with friendships, and camping together with this crazy bunch has bonded us for life, I'm afraid. We have too many incriminating stories among us!
Next week we're looking forward to traveling to IL to spend 4 days with my family. My brother, Andrew, & his family are home from Italy for 2 months. We'll be staying at a cabin (thanks to one of their supporters) and we're excited about having this time away together as a Debelak "clan" (a first for us).
Because I live in Oklahoma, I'm not guaranteed consistent Fall weather. There is always the possibility that you will be wearing shorts on Thanksgiving Day! But with my Fall decorations up and tea bags out, it doesn't matter. I can celebrate this new season regardless of whether the temperatures agree with me or not!
2 comments:
I like your new look. You guys sure do travel a lot. Someday you really will have to come this way.
Fall is my favorite time of the year too. Yesterday I was driving down the highway and a ton of leaves were blowing into my car. I thought, that's strange (San Diego isn't exactly known for it's fall season)and then I noticed a "leaky" landscaping truck pulled over on the side of the road. I'll take what I can get!
We had a really great time Friday night. It was so wonderful to spend time with such good friends. Thanks for letting us all invade your home! Hope you have a safe trip and a wonderful time with your family!
Post a Comment