Sunday, June 13, 2010

Listenin' to the rain...

I love the sound of the rain...have ever since I was a little girl. Storms don't scare me. They're comforting, in a way. I fell asleep countless nights to the sound of torrential rain pounding down on aluminum roof tops without ceilings or insulation to diminish the noise. There's something peaceful about listening to the rain & sitting quietly with my thoughts.

When I decided to lead an adult Sunday school class, I was mostly looking forward to a change; a break from teaching children & a chance to interact with people my own age. I never expected this series might change me.

We're working through a series of messages by Andy Stanley on Faith. I have been challenged to look at the foundation of my faith. Is it circumstantial? Based on my ability to find God in my circumstances? Or is it dependant on something more? When I'm honest with myself, I see that often times my faith in God isn't based on what He's done for me through Jesus, but what I think he should do for me...right here, right now.

Sometimes I'd rather live in denial.

But then reality sets in...

"When we evaluate God's faithfulness...God's presence...God's intervention in a time frame that's short enough to suit us, but that doesn't suit him...we often conclude something is wrong with God..."

There is a couple we know that is facing unimaginable circumstances. I have cried as I read their blog. It is a beautiful picture of faith...a faith that is not dependant on their circumstances. but on their God.

Andy Stanley defines faith as "confidence that God is who He says He is, and that He will do everything he has promised to do." In Luke 5:12-15, a man covered in leprosy approached Jesus & fell to his face before him & begged, "Lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean." A beautiful picture of faith.

"God...if you don't do anything for me, you're still God...We can fall on our face & beg God & know that if he is willing...he CAN do it! But regardless of the answer (yes, not now, or no...), he is STILL God & you are still his beloved child...because he sent Jesus to be your Savior."


"The Lord foils the plans of the nations; he thwarts the purposes of the peoples. But the plans of the Lord stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations." Psalm 33:10-11

2 comments:

bitten by the bug said...

wow aims this was soo good...i like what john piper says too...God is doing a 1,000 things in a situation that we can't see or know........Hes always at work even if it doesn't feel that way to us. i'm finding out the bottom line is whether i'm willing to just trust HIm, and rest. not try to do all my arranging of how i think things should go etc., just trust all of it to Him.

jb said...

Love this! Thanks, Aim.