Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Straight to his heart...

My husband turned 36 today. It's hard to believe that 12 years of marriage & four kids later...life is busy, but we are so blessed. I once told my son that he needed to learn as much as possible from his daddy. It is my "insurance", just in case, someday, his dad will not be here to take care of me. I told him I would need someone to call when something breaks or needs repaired. He looked at me & said, "I won't be able to do it like daddy." And I'm afraid he's right. I am thankful for a husband to knows how to fix just about everything, knows how to let loose & have fun, and brings balance to my emotional neurotic side! :)
If the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, then I hope the cooking I've done these past two days has shown my man just how much I love him!

I fried up the bass he & the kids caught yesterday...plus a batch of hushpuppies. Yum. The kids were curious how the name originated & though it may be an "urban legend", there are tales that this cornbread treat dates back to before the Civil War, and was indeed used to hush dogs (or puppies) from barking. Who knows...but it sure kept our litter quiet!

The only way to make any meal better, is to add Guarana...a Brazilian pop that tastes similar to cream soda, but so much better!

Top it off with Mulberry pie (recipe on "Something Delicious").

Tonight we had home-made Chinese - fried rice w/ shrimp, General Tao's chicken, & Honey-teriaki chicken. And for birthday dessert? Phil's favorite - Maple Nut Mold.

I love you, Phil. Thanks for being a great dad to our kids, and the only one I want to walk this journey of life with...

2 comments:

bitten by the bug said...

wow great tribute aims, & delicious looking food too :} he is truly blessed as are you, and us!!

jrwissink said...

In that pic I can see the placemats Mom and I gave you! I love that you use those!