Thursday, March 27, 2008

Graduation

Well, today is the first of many "graduations" I will get to experience as a parent. And I must say, I'm not physically ready for it. Seriously. I just rode my bike for 1/2 a mile & my legs feel like jello. Pathetic.

We've successfully graduated four children out of diapers & into "big boy & girl" underwear...or panties, as the case may be. Grace graduated from Kindergarten last year, which is an odd tradition, but not one I want to explore right now. Abbie & Grace have graduated from the safety of the back yard to playing in the front yard unsupervised. And today Abbie graduated from bike rides around the block with her Dad, to riding her bike to & from her piano lesson solo.

We are forced to deal with our children's quest for independence at an early age. I think it starts when they are infants & are in charge of their own sleep schedule. Do they know how they torture us with sleep deprivation? Soon they're crawling & going where they please. And before we know it, they will move out of the house & be making major life decisions for themselves. Scary. My job as a parent is to set structure & boundaries, but also learn to let them go & let my kids grow up. The apron strings aren't being cut, just fraying one little strand at a time.

1 comment:

Kristen M. said...

My freak out moment is going to be when Megan and Paul are old enough to walk home from school by themselves. (We don't live far enough from any of the schools - elementary/middle/highschool - to have bus service.) It is only a ten minute walk but it is going to feel like an eternity. I recently saw a tracking device for kids. It was around $200 but maybe worth the money? :)