Sunday, November 21, 2010

And away they go...

The kids have off school for Thanksgiving break. Unfortunately, Phil & I still have another two days of work. So we were faced with something we hadn't considered before - the kids being on their own at home. As Abbie is 12, we knew that legally, this would be fine. We just weren't sure if sensibly it would be wise!

I know I have several wonderful friends that would keep my kids in a heartbeat, but that is a lot to ask when their kids are home too. So we were just planning to do it & pray the house didn't burn down in the process. Well, my sweet sister-in-law offered to care for our kids for the next 3 days. Pray for them, would you? ;)

Before they could change their minds (just kidding!) we packed up, prayed for Abbie to be healed from the flu, loaded the van, and drove up to Wichita to meet my brother. We sent him off with the kids and had a quiet drive home. The reinforcements (aka Grandpa & Grandma) will arrive in Kansas City tomorrow night to help out until we get there on Wednesday night. By then Aunt Natalie & Uncle Andrew might need a vacation of their own! ;)

It's the first time all four have gone off without us, so I had to "document" as they headed out the door with all of their stuff...




They really look too happy to be leaving us. I was hoping for some tears and not all of this unabashed excitement.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Ya, they look really happy! Did you take a picture of you and Phil? Were you that happy too?! ENJOY your time to yourselves and the quiet house!

Amy said...

I can't even imagine days without kids right now. We haven't even left them with someone other then family. Recently, we returned home to find the babies and gparents asleep. Not sure that is the best babysitting skills, but at least the babies were asleep too. I guess maybe I am too much of a control freak when it comes to that sort of stuff.