I was expecting yesterday to be like every other Sunday.
Get up early, enjoy the quiet house & an uninterrupted shower, wake the kids...then try to survive the mayhem of Sunday morning. The goal is just to have everyone presentable & out the door in time for church without too many tears, fits or drama. Then I get to paste a smile on my face so that during the greeting time when everyone is asking, "How are you?", I can answer, "Fine!" or "Great!", instead of snapping at them & saying, "My morning was crazy...how about yours?!?!?"
Okay, maybe that's not an accurate picture of my Sunday mornings. It is getting easier now that the kids are older. At least I no longer run the risk of getting spit-up or poop on my outfit. About 50% of the time, it's smooth sailing, but there are always those mornings...when I'm too busy getting everyone else ready that I don't realize I missed breakfast until I'm standing in front of the doughnut table & wishing there were healthier options offered.
But then I just eat the chocolate doughnut & all is right with the world again. Sort of.
I digress. Yesterday I woke up to an itchy ear...a bug bite...most likely a spider bite. A little while after I noticed the itchy bump on my ear, my chin started to feel numb. Sort of like after a visit to the dentist when the anesthesia is wearing off. By the time I rolled out of bed to check the mirror, my face was feeling hot & weird. It was a nice shade of red & swelling rapidly. Allergic reaction. Or a brown recluse. Maybe I'm dying. Great. Even if I paste a smile at church, it will be blatantly obvious that something is wrong with me.
I popped a Benadryl to manage the itching & went through the motions of getting everyone ready. By the time church started, I was getting desperate. I found my friend, who is a nurse, who conferred with another nurse; their diagnosis was that I needed a shot of cortisone. Unfortunately Urgent Care and Minor Emergency aren't open on Sunday mornings, so we headed to the ER for some much needed relief. My friend sat & waited with me until I got my shot...right in the hiney ...because that is what friends do. And they do not laugh at you while you're getting one...well, most of the time.
I made it back to church for the last 15 min. of the sermon, made it through lunch (thanks to a wonderful sister-in-law for throwing it together), and crashed for a nap. The Benadryl was finally kicking in. Good news is my ear won't fall off. The Dr. didn't think it was a brown recluse bite. Bad news is we'll be "bombing" the house & checking nooks and crannies for hungry spiders.
I know I'm sweet and all, but I'll just stick to having my husband nibble on my ears from here on out...
2 comments:
Wow Amy. I just checked our your blog for the first time and could so relate to your Sunday morning routine. I'm sorry about the bite. That happened to my husband during language school and it was pretty scarry at the time. Made it interesting for him to try to speak Spanish with a swelled tongue too!:) I look forward to reading more on your blog when I have a chance. It's been a while since Moody and I'm sure you've had all sorts of adventures! Pattie
this made me laugh. is that wrong??
Post a Comment