Thursday, December 27, 2007

Favorite Things

This past month I discovered two new favorites: one old, one new. Someone told me about this 3D snowflake & my Sunday school class had fun making them last week. They turned out really neat. http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-3D-Paper-Snowflake

The second is my sister-in-law's granola recipe...tweaked. For some crazy reason I was compulsively buying canisters of quick oats (thinking I was out), until at one point, I had 5 stashed away in various cupboards. The kids love this & we alternate between granola & oatmeal w/ raisins for breakfast. I still have yet to figure out if it's cheaper than cold cereal, but I'm pretty sure it's better for you. :)

1 c. shredded coconut
1 c. sliced almonds
1 c. chopped pecans
1 c. wheat germ
1 c. ground flax seed
2 1/2 c. quick oats
2 1/2 c. rolled oats
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. honey

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl & mix well. Take 2 9x13" pans & cut 1/4 c. butter in each pan. Place in the oven until butter is melted. Add 1/4 c. honey to each pan & return to oven until warm & able to stir; add vanilla. Divide dry ingredients between both pans & stir to coat. Bake for 20-25 minutes, stirring every 7-10 minutes, until browned & crunchy. Let cool & store in a Tupperware container.

2 comments:

Kristen M. said...

I've seen that 3-D snowflake floating around the internet. It is pretty cool. My kids have decorated our house with their own snowflakes that they learned how to make this year. I'll have to post a picture of their handiwork.

ten4ruthie said...

I'll just go ahead and say here that the flax seed was NOT included in the original recipe. :-)
(That IS my recipe.... isn't it?)