Sunday, July 8, 2012

Letting go of the rope...

"...All that I know now is partial and imcomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God knows me completely."
- 1 Corinthians 13:12


It's a fuzzy picture.  Off center.  Out of focus.  But I love it.

It hit me this morning that all the time I waste striving to understand the "Why?" and "What now?" of life, is pointless.  I'm such a control-freak.  I want to think it through, figure it out, find a solution, pull myself up by my bootstraps.  "I can do it."

When I watched Abbie count down & let go of the rope that held her secure, she began to swing out of control.  But they said, "Lean back.  Relax.  Let go."  And she did.  It was a beautiful thing.  Instead of clinging for control, tense and miserable, she just let go.  Completely.  Reckless abandon. 

But that is where she finally felt comfortable.  "This feels good." 

I have to admit I was too chicken to put that harness on and try it.  I couldn't even trust the ropes would hold me up. What if they break?  What if I fall?

I don't trust that God can hold me up. 

I want to figure it out, find a solution.  But what I see and know now is not the whole picture.  It's not possible to understand completely or have my questions answered.  And the truth is I can't figure it out.

TRUST is the solution.

It's not easy to let go.  But being able to finally lean back into God, knowing that He sees, He understands, He knows me, He knows what He's doing...

that is real peace.

No comments: